Our operations

Bookmark
Share page on

Moranbah North

An operator at Moranbah North mine

Moranbah North is an underground longwall mining operation which began operating in 1998.

Description

The mining lease at Moranbah North covers about 100 square kilometres. The majority of Moranbah North employees live in Moranbah, and we created a new suburb in Moranbah to house its workforce.

Location

Moranbah North is located in the northern part of the Bowen Basin in Central Queensland, 15 kilometres north of Moranbah township and 150 kilometres south west of Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal at Hay Point. It is about a two-hour drive from the coastal city of Mackay.

Coal production

Moranbah North coal is mined from the Goonyella Middle Seam, approximately 200 metres below the surface. The mine currently produces 4.5 Mt annually of high fluidity premium hard coking coal mainly for export to iron and steel manufacturers in Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Moranbah North coal is also exported to India, Brazil and Europe. Estimated coal reserves indicate a mine life of more than 20 years. In April 2007, we and joint venture partners Mitsui and Nippon Steel invested $200 million in a powered roof support project to improve the mine’s productivity at increasing depths. 148 new roof supports, each with a capacity of 1,750 tonnes, were installed in early 2009. The project was commissioned in August 2009.

Ownership and operation

Moranbah North is 88% owned by Anglo American, with the remaining 12% owned by joint venture partners, Mitsui Coal, Shinsho Australia, NS Resources and JFE Mineral (Australia). The mine is operated and managed by Anglo American.

Regional profile

The majority of employees of Moranbah North reside in the Grosvenor Housing Estate at Moranbah, a ‘purpose built’ mining town. The township was established in 1971 and currently has a population of more than 8,000 people.

Environmental issues

Moranbah North mine achieved the International Standard for Environmental Management (ISO 140001) in November 2004.

Community relations

Moranbah North maintains strong links with local government representatives and is a major supporter of a wide range of community activities and services.

Cultural heritage

Through the exploration, development and operation of the mine, we have undertaken cultural heritage assessments. Moranbah North enjoys a good working relationship with the traditional owners of the lands occupied by ML 70108. The Barada Barna Kabalbara and Yetimarla People, which represents the Barna people, and the Wiri people have been involved in all cultural heritage surveys undertaken to date and will remain the key focal points of cultural heritage issues for Moranbah North. A total of 184 sites and artefacts have been identified on site to date and recorded on site plans. Most of the sites identified consists of artefact scatters, though numerous scarred trees have also been identified within the lease. Two heritage sites from the early activities of pastoralists have also been recorded.

Community

Moranbah North is committed to the community and contributes to improving services and facilities in the area. Recently the mine has:

  • Donated $1million to upgrade Moranbah's Greg Cruickshank Aquatic Centre 
  • Established a town office as a central location for community members to visit and find out more about Anglo American's growth plans and projects in Moranbah
  • Purchased a $45,000 12-seater minibus for ISAAC Regional Council's Moranbah Early Learning Centre in July 2012
  • Donated $10,000 to Moranbah State School to enable the purchase of electronic whiteboards  
  • Donated more than $70,000 to Moranbah's Boxing and Sporting Club for the purchase of state of the art gym equipment